Backround-Phil starts a fire in the woodstove before he goes to bed to keep the kids warm.
Last night around 1 am the fire alarm went off. It was loud and very scary. We are not sure why it went off...there was no smoke. Needless to say Caleb was very scared. I haven't heard him cry like that..well...ever. Benjamin seemed to be okay at first. But later he wanted to sleep in our room on the floor. Evie didn't wake up (which is wierd the alarm is right outside her door), until later when it kept going off.
It took us 1 hour to figure out what the deal was. After we got the first alarm stopped it kept going in little sprits for 45 minutes. I just stood there with a book waving it to get it to stop, while Phil ran around the house. We opened all the windows, we turned on all the fans (kitchen and both bathrooms), and Phil stopped out the whole fire. It still kept going off. Phil finally had to disconnect it. We have two alarms. One that was connected into the house and a normal one with a battery. He had to disconnect the one to the house.
So, it took a long while for me to go back to sleep. Then Evie woke up later. Benjamin woke up with a 'bad dream.' I let him sleep next to me for a little while then took him back to his bed, then less then five minutes later he asked to sleep on the floor next to us. I got up grapped his pillow and blanket and put him next to Phil (if Evie woke up again I was afraid that I would forget and step on him.) I finally got to sleep, but I didn't get much sleep.
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am amazed that your kids heard the alarm. Ours is so high pitched that it doesn't seem to phase them. I am glad that you guys are okay and that it was just a false alarm.
Praise God that there was no fire. Did you figure out if is was some kind of short or if there was some kind of leak in the wood stove? Poor little ones. But I am sure that being close to mommy and daddy really helped.
Mom S.
Glad to hear all is okay; sounds like it was a sleepless night for you. Hope you're rested today.
Post a Comment