What is marriage to you? I know that most (well all) of my post are of my children, there cute and crazy ways. But there is something heavy on my heart this week.
Marriage? I never really thought outside my own world in this arena. I mean really thought. My marriage is a blessing to me. Phil compliments me, not the your looking pretty kind, the two puzzle pieces fitting together kind. This week I was reminded that my marriage is not normal. That makes me sad.
To some marriage is a curse. Something that is a mistake, a trouble, a living hell. That makes me sad.
How are we to love each other? It is what the other person can do for us, no of course not!! It is what I can do for them and expect nothing in return. That is hard. To give yourself and not expect the other person to give to.
But what a blessing when both sides are willing to give. What a curse when niether or one is willing to give.
I am so thankful that I had wonderful examples in my mom and dad. Two people that love so fully. That is my goal, my dream, my inspiration. But is it not easy (although something they make it look so). The road of marriage is never straight or without it's bumps. It is how you take those bumps that count.
With grace?
With disappointment?
With resentment?
With love?
With bitterness?
With each other or alone?
As I look back on my marriage, almost eight years, I have seen my taking the bumps in the road with each of these reactions. But great are the times that we rely on God and each other. But great are the times that we have grace and love. But great are the times that we let go and live on.
Is marriage a blessing or a curse? I guess it is all up to you to decide. Are you going to love without expection or are you not?
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great post dear!
excellent! How wonderful it is to see our children with a strong marriage! I grieve with you over those who do not know the reward of loving fully the one to whom you are married. The way to this type of marriage is not through man, but through the workings of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
Mom S
I have been refining my view on love with Aunt Judy's recent passing, and it is not based on functionality or a transaction (otherwise it's self-oriented), but a bond, and on showing right regard for others. This is hard for me when I want to be independent and make my own way! I'm glad we have God to show us His!
Thank you also for your kind comment and condolences.
Post a Comment