Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jury Duty

Well today was a first for me. I had a full day of jury duty. I got the summons about a month ago and was told that my Juror number was 203. Last time I was summoned my number was 215 or 220 or so. The night before you need to call and they will say how many juror they need by saying that juror's number 1-whatever needs to come in. Well, last time I was fine and didn't need to come in. I thought that that would happen again. Out of luck. They need 1-127. So, this morning at 8:00 I needed to be at the courthouse.

It was quit a process. I needed to fill out a questionare. Then waited. And waited. The other trial was dismissed so the other jurors got to go home around 9:30. The rest of us waited. At about 10:15 we were lined up and taken upstairs to the courtroom. There we learned a little bit about the case that we would be on. They asked generic questions of all the Jurors (some of the peoples answers were interesting....really trying to get out of it). They they asked specific questions of specific people. They didn't ask me anything. Then we went outside were they decided who would be on the jury. Well, I was one of the lucky 12. I don't know why they liked me, but I was chosen.

Then we got to see the whole trial. It was short. Opening statements. Two witnesses. Closing statements. Jury intructions. Diliberation. The shortest part of diliberation. One count was guilt and the other was not-guilty. Then we got to go home.

I was a little upset that I had to be there all day. But really it was interesting. Got to see the whole system at work. I am glad that it is over and that I don't have to serve for another 2 years. But it was interesting for today to get to see the whole thing. It was mighty different then taking care of three children and a house all day that is for sure......

1 comment:

simplykersh said...

Hey there,
y'all may not remember me (Jeff Kershner, farrar boy)but just found my way to your site and wanted to say that baby tracker picture thing is really neat...and kinda gross.
I've never had much of a stomach for that medicalish stuff (encyclopedias with the skeletal and nervous systems made me sick). Which is very odd being ans i have been right there for the births of my daughters, barely breathing and holding my wife's headlock off a bit...but still in the room.
Congrats on the newest one.